Barry's Emacs is an easy to use and accessible,
yet powerful, text editor.
You can start using Barry's Emacs as a notepad replacement.
Then, at your own speed use more advanced features.
There are pre-built kits available for Windows, macOS and Linux systems,
Fedora, Centos 8 and 7 and Centos 6.
It's user interface uses the familiar Windows style user interface,
key bindings, menus, toolbar and dialogs. Barry's Emacs is integrated with the
14-Feb-2021 V8.8.0 release with kits for Windows 7 64 bit and later, Mac OS X 64 bit and Fedora 31, 32 and 33, Centos 8, 7 and 6.
- Add subprocess support to Windows, macOS and unix GUI versions.
- shell command starts a shell in a emacs window
- compile-it command by default uses make to compile code.
Use next-error (^X-^N) to go to errors from the compilation.
- Add the "man" command for macOS and unix versions.
The man-word-in-buffer will run man the current word.
- Add the chmod-current-buffer to have the mode of the current buffer's file.
macOS and unix only.
- Add the chown-current-buffer to have the owndership of the current buffer's file.
macOS and unix only.
- Add (is-unix-operating-system) to be true for any of the OS that the unix
part of the library is included for. e.g. linux, netbsd, macOS at the moment
- Update some examples in the documentation
- Fix syntax hilight for "rem" in Windows batch/command files
- Windows and macOS builds now use a Python venv
- Updated to use python 3.9 with latest PyQt for Windows and macOS
- rename p4-open to p4-edit (p4 open is not documented)
All news items
- Full HTML documentation
- Windows style user interface
- Edit multiple files
- Multiple buffers
- Syntax colouring
- Regular expression searching
- Fully programmable
- Integrated Python extension language
- Available for Windows, Mac OS and Linux.
- Dark mode support
V8.6 is now the recommended version of Barry's Emacs.
Download information for Barry's Emacs V8
and for the older Barry's Emacs V7.2.
The source code is hosted on GitHub at
|Operating System||Download instructions|
|macOS 64 bit||Use V8.6|
|Fedora Linux||Use V8.6|
|Centos 8 and 7 Linux||Use V8.6|
|Centos 6 Linux||Use V8.6|
|Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 64 bit||Use V8.6|
|Windows XP, 2000, NT 4.0||Use the legacy V7.2|
Barry's Emacs FAQ
Check the FAQ for frequently asked questions.
Barry's Emacs is discussed on groups.io barrys-emacs.