Barry's Emacs is easy to use and accessible, yet powerful.
You can start using Barry's Emacs as a notepad replacement.
Then, at your own speed use more advanced features.
It's user interface uses the familiar Windows style user interface,
key bindings, menus, toolbar and dialogs. Barry's Emacs is integrated with the
- Full HTML documentation
- Windows style user interface
- Edit multiple files
- Multiple buffers
- Syntax colouring
- Regular expression searching
- Fully programmable
- Integrated Python extension language
- Available for Windows, Mac OS and Linux.
V8.4 is now the recommended version of Barry's Emacs.
Download information for Barry's Emacs V8
and for the older Barry's Emacs V7.2.
The source code is hosted on GitHub at
|Mac OS X 64 bit||Use V8.4|
|Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 64 bit||Use V8.4|
|Windows XP, 2000, NT 4.0||Use V7.2|
|Linux||Source builds tested on Fedora.|
Barry's Emacs FAQ
Check the FAQ for frequently asked questions.
Barry's Emacs is discussed on Yahoo group barrysemacs.
13-May-2018 V8.4.1 release with kits for Windows 7 64 bit and later, Mac OS X 64 bit and Fedora 26.
- Add all unicode space characters as spaces
- Add some missing documenation for ere functions
- fix for PC-edit-cut
- fix for incsearch keys on a linux console
- Improved Python-mode
- Improve diff to be smarter about what to diff between
15-October-2017 V8.4.0 released with kits for Windows 7 64 bit and later, Mac OS X 64 bit and Fedora 26.
- Added toggling toolbar and menu items
- new case-fold-search and replace-mode added to the menus and toolbar
16-April-2017 V8.3.4 released with kits for Windows 7 64 bit and later, Mac OS X 64 bit and Fedora 25.
- The disk space required for Barry's Emacs has been reduced to about 1/2 what 8.3.3 used on Windows and macOS.
- Drawing problem with pixels left on screen fixed.
- On macOS text on retina screens is no longer faint.
- make bemacs -wait work on linux.
- Small improvements to HTML-mode and sh-mode.
- Small docs improvements.
- fix auto-execute to no longer lowercase the filename before comparing to the auto-execute pattern
1-November-2016 V8.3.3 released with kits for Windows 7 64 bit and later and Mac OS X 64 bit.
- Fix performance issue in apropos and describe-bindings. These commands where very slow, now that are almost instant.
- Fix where journal files are created.
- use the filename's folder for the journal file
- use emacs_user: for the buffer journals
- make the filename concoction agorithm unicode aware and avoid invalid filename chars
3-September-2016 V8.3.2 released with kits for Windows 7 64 bit and later and Mac OS X 64 bit.
- Support reading files in UTF-16 which is often used on Windows. They will be saved as UTF-8.
- Fix problem in the UTF-8 support that could truncate a file that was not valid UTF-8.
- Fix Edit/Paste menu command.
- Fix some ERE parsing Issues. "\>" rejected. [\t] parsed as if [\n]. (?#...), (?=...) and (?!...) reported parsing error.
- Mac OS X: Fix problem when Barry's Emacs is not running and a file is dragged on the
Barry's Emacs icon or opened from the Finder.
- Windows: Remove restriction on the maximum unicode code point that Emacs would handle.
It was 65535 and is now the unicode standard limit of 1.1 million.
- About box shows Git commit id. This allows the exact code that was used to build Emacs to be identified.
22-July-2016 V8.3.0 released with kits for Windows 7 64 bit and later and Mac OS X 64 bit.
- Preferences now allows colours to be configured. Double click to edit or use the context menu (right click).
- New syntax type of Problem. Useful for highlighing white space issues.
- New mode: white-space-mini-mode adds checks for white space problems. See the docs for details.
- Existing languages modes updated to merge white-space-mini-mode support.
- New mode XHTML-mode. This is a combination of HTML-mode and XML-mode. From HTML-mode comes the keyword
colouring and from XML-mode the ability to use ESC-(, ESC-) to move back for forth between matching elements.
- Documentation has seen a lot of changes under the covers to make the HTML move from old 1990's style HTML
to modern HTML 5 and CSS style. This will make it a lot easier to update the contents of the documentation.
26-June-2016 V8.2.6 released with kits for Windows 7 64 bit and later and Mac OS X 64 bit.
- Undo changes to write-named-file that caused regression in some MLisp.
- Add new reset-buffer-name-from-filename for use by Save As.
25-June-2016 V8.2.5 released with kits for Windows 7 64 bit and later and Mac OS X 64 bit.
- write-named-file will cause the buffer name to be set as it the filewas just read in.
- Fix issue with using the (quote str) function. Added (re-quote str) and (ere-quote str)
which correctly quotes the str based on re or ere syntax.
- Updated query replace implementation to the the new quote functions.
- Python-mode now supports python2 and python3. The default if not sure is python3.
- describe-binding now lists the local binding before the global binding. Which seems more usable.
- File/Open and File/Save As have been improved. Emacs current-directory is use as the default for open-file.
save-as defaults to folder of the file being saved and its name is selected. Save As supports saving scratch buffers.
21-May-2016 V8.2.4 released with kits for Windows 7 64 bit and later and Mac OS X 64 bit.
- Add Save As Dialog accessed from the File menu along with Save, Save modified files.
- update (quote "str") to quote all current regex special chars.
10-May-2016 V8.2.3 released with kits for Windows 7 64 bit and later and Mac OS X 64 bit.
- Add File Open Dialog accessed from the File menu.
2-May-2016 V8.2.2 released with kits for Windows 7 64 bit and later and Mac OS X 64 bit.
- Adds open documentation from the help menu.
- Fix Open with Barry's Emacs from Windows explorer.
26-Apr-2016 V8.2.1 released with kits for Windows 7 64 bit and later and Mac OS X 64 bit.
Fixes issues seen installing 8.2.0
17-Mar-2016 V8.2.0 released with kits for Windows 7 64 bit and later and Mac OS X 64 bit.
2-Sep-2005 V7.2-246 blessed as Stable release.
2-Sep-2005 Move barrys-emacs.org to a new hosting company clara.net (the pervious iicinternet.com has
very poor customer support).
19-Jan-2005 Beta test version of Barry's Emacs V7.2-246 is available for Windows, Linux and FreeBSD.
Add smart-auto-execute, great for working on unix #! script files and a couple of bug fixes. Dropped support for OpenBSD and RedHat 7.2, Add support for Mac OS X, RedHat FC2 and FC3
29-Jul-2004 Beta test version of Barry's Emacs V7.2-242 is available for Windows, Linux and FreeBSD.
Add better XML-mode and a couple of bug fixes.
12-Apr-2004 Beta test version of Barry's Emacs V7.2-239 is available for Windows, Linux and FreeBSD.
Add simple XML-mode couple of bug fixes.
17-Mar-2004 Beta test version of Barry's Emacs V7.2-238 is available for Windows, Linux and FreeBSD.
fixes default backup file naming bug introduced in 237.
14-Mar-2004 Beta test version of Barry's Emacs V7.2-237 is available for Windows, Linux and FreeBSD.
Some bug fixes, Better X11 cut and paste, python 2.3 support and some minor new features.
7-Sep-2002 Barry's Emacs V7.2-208 is available for Windows, Linux and FreeBSD.